Family Support Worker
The Families & Young People Services team currently have a vacancy for a Family Support Worker to join our New Families team. The New Families Program helps mothers provide quality care for their babies. The role will primarily be based in our Intensive Support House where mothers and their babies reside for up to three months. Occasionally, our Family Support Workers also provide support to mothers in their own homes.
This is a casual position located on the northern side of Brisbane. Due to the nature of this role, we are seeking applications from female candidates.
The Family Support Worker works with mothers to develop appropriate parenting and living skills that enable them to gain confidence in caring for their babies. You will build and maintain relationships with mothers, role model expected behaviours and support personal skill development. The Intensive Support House provides 24/7 support so you will be required to work rostered shifts and must be available to cover all three shift times (8:00am – 4:00pm, 4:00pm – 10:00pm, and an awake night shift 10:00pm – 8:00am). One Family Support Worker is rostered on for each shift.
You will bring to the role your passionate and caring nature and you will have:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or previous experience working with babies and their families
- Knowledge of the issues affecting clients in the program such as child protection issues, family breakdown, domestic violence, adolescent and child development, attachment, homelessness and substance misuse.
- An ability to work unsupervised with vulnerable families and babies, providing guidance, supervision and support.
- Effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate computer and word processing skills using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- A Queensland Drivers Licence (Green Provisional or Open Licence), ability to obtain positive notice in the Working with Children Check (Blue Card) and any other legislatively required personal history screening as required
- Evidence of current vaccination against whooping cough or willingness to obtain prior to commencement
It is beneficial for candidates to have:
- A broad knowledge of safe parenting practices and child health/development
- A sound understanding of the Queensland child protection system
- An understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, cultures and societies and the issues which impact upon them in contemporary society together with a commitment to culturally appropriate engagement and practice
As a Mercy Community employee, we’ll offer you:
- The chance to make a genuine difference in people’s lives
- The opportunity to increase your take-home pay by salary sacrificing
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (confidential counselling service)
- Career pathways for those wishing to grow within the company
- A friendly and supportive work place
This position offers a competitive casual hourly rate of $41.33 (inclusive of loadings) in line with level 4 of our Enterprise Agreement and other benefits in line with our Agreement.
Mercy Community is a not-for-profit organisation, focussed on the provision of innovative and responsive services in the areas of child protection, multicultural community support, family mental health, community and residential based aged care and disability support services. We are a strongly committed team that works hard and truly lives our values – Mercy, Acceptance, Excellence, Dignity, Empowerment and Integrity.
We encourage and welcome candidates from all cultural backgrounds and recommend that you view our website and Employee Value Proposition.
To apply please head to this link: https://mercycs.applynow.net.au/jobs/MCS899 and follow the prompts.
Applications must include an updated resume and a response to the requirements stated above within your cover letter (maximum of 2 pages).
Please apply immediately as we are seeking to fill these positions as soon as possible, applications will close on 20 February 2019, however Mercy reserves the right to interview suitable candidates prior to the closing date of this campaign.
Please note that you must be eligible to work in Australia to be considered for this position. Employment is conditional upon maintaining a clear personal history screening checks throughout employment.