Senior Support Worker
Mercy Community is a not-for-profit organisation, focussed on the provision of innovative and responsive services in the areas of child protection, multicultural community support, family mental health, community and residential based aged care and disability support services. We are a strongly committed team that works hard and truly lives our values – Mercy, Acceptance, Excellence, Dignity, Empowerment and Integrity.
Based in Townsville, this position is responsible for supporting people in their day-to-day living, ensuring that they have maximum opportunity to develop valued lifestyles, providing opportunities for choice, control, self-advocacy and becoming a valued member of the community. The Lead Support Worker will work closely with people and their support networks to develop personalised plans, and will take a lead role in the team that implements the plan. In a nutshell you’ll:
- Work closely with people and their support networks to develop and document plans, designed to support the setting and achievement of personal goals.
- Actively research opportunities for community inclusions and participation, dependent on individual needs, abilities and preferences.
- Take a lead role with other Support Workers in implementing and evaluating personal plans, using best models of practice and within service guidelines/frameworks.
- Build and maintain trusting and meaningful working relationships with people we support, their circle of support and the community.
- Encourage positive and socially appropriate behaviour, and effectively manage challenging behaviours.
- Provide personal care where required and personalised support in accordance with the personal plan.
- Ensure completion of documentation in line with organisational procedures, including case notes, progress notes and incident reports.
- Previous experience in and knowledge of the disability, allied health, welfare or education fields.
- A passion for working with people with disabilities.
- Ability to work flexible hours, with a willingness to work within a 24/7 rotating roster, including overnight/sleep-over shifts and weekend shifts.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work and communicate effectively with people we support, their families, community and other networks.
- Understanding and commitment to a person-centred model of practice.
- Commitment to social justice and inclusion, and valuing difference and diversity.
- Ability to work autonomously and using initiative within organisational policies and procedures.
- Ability and willingness to work in a diverse range of settings including, but not limited to, a person’s residence, other services, community groups and other community settings.
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate and CPR Certificate.
- A commitment to culturally appropriate engagement and practice.
- Demonstrated ability to use IT systems, including Microsoft Office.
- Queensland Provisional Green or above Driver’s License.
- Ability to obtain positive notice in the Working with Children Check (Blue Card) and any other legislatively required personal history screening as required.
- Certificate IV in Community Services (or higher) or related discipline (Beneficial).
- An understanding of trauma-based behaviour and behaviour support practices (Beneficial).
- An understanding of restrictive practice and the foundational principles of engaging and not engaging in restrictive practices (Beneficial).
We’ll Offer You….
- Attractive rate in line with the Disability Services Enterprise Agreement 2010
- Generous salary sacrificing benefits
- Continued professional development opportunities to ensure you grow in your career with Mercy Community
- Fun and Supportive team
If this sounds like the role for you, apply now via http://mercycs.applynow.net.au/jobs/MCS706 Please ensure your application includes a resume and cover letter.
Please Apply Immediately
We encourage and welcome candidates from all cultural backgrounds and recommend you visit our website at www.mercycs.org.au to find out more about Mercy Community.Please note that you must be eligible to work in Australia to be considered for this position. Employment is conditional upon maintaining a clear personal history screening checks throughout employment.